Paleo Southern-Fried Chicken
So living in Georgia for half of my life, and my roots being from here, it's not hard to figure out that I LOVE fried chicken! Unfortunately, I've tried to avoid it most of my life because the mainstream version is sooooo bad for you. And I'll be honest, when I "cheat" and have one piece, I just can't help myself, and always want more!!! So being the creative person I am, I tried to dabble at making a healthy paleo version, and well, let's just say, it was a huge success! My family snarfed it down within minutes, and were disappointed that I didn't make more! So here's the recipe, if you're southern like me, or just love the taste of southern cooking, then I promise you'll LOVE this version, and may even forget while you're gnawing into that juicy chicken leg, that you went paleo. Enjoy!
Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 40 mins
- 1- 1.5 lbs of chicken legs, drumsticks, thighs, whatever floats your boat
- 1 Cup Coconut flour
- 1/4 Cup Almond meal/flour
- 1/2 Tbsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Ground sage
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ground marjoram
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Celery salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- dash of allspice
- 1 egg
- Coconut oil for frying
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. In a large frying pan, melt enough coconut oil to cover the bottom over medium-high heat.
3. In a shallow bowl or glass pie pan, wisk egg. In separate shallow bowl or pie pan, combine dry ingredients and mix well with a fork, making sure there are no lumps.
4. First dip chicken in egg; coat well, then dip in flour mixture coating evenly. Transfer chicken to frying pan and brown breading on all sides. Do not cook long enough to cook chicken through, only until breading is golden brown.
5. Once breading is evenly golden brown, transfer to a 13x9 glass baking dish; repeat until all chicken is done.
6. Cook chicken in the oven for 40 minutes, or until cooked thorough out.
7. Enjoy chicken. Try not to look like a caveman fighting for the last piece :)